This May I’m expecting my first born and have been feeling the love from near and far both from family/friends and from our Shiki community! Being an AZ resident but a CA native I was thrilled when my Little (Alpha Chi Omega sorority little sister) Ashley offered to host a shower at her Huntington Beach home so I could celebrate our little guy with my family and friends back home!
Being a creative entrepreneur I instantly started dreaming up shower ideas the moment I found out we were expecting. I have to say all of my late night pinning didn’t prepare me for the insanely thoughtful and over-the-top cute shower Ashley and my lovely mama Kala threw for baby Tatum and I!
Staying true to my American Indian heritage the party was themed “Welcome To The Tribe” and was absolutely flawless from start to finish. I’ll blame my pregnancy hormones for the fact that I cried when opening the individually made invitations, come on check these out, she made each one of these on her Cricut and assembled each one by hand…if that isnt a labor of love I don’t know what is!
Now onto the details from the party!
Party Theme and Inspiration:
This Powwow party was inspired by my native heritage along with the adorable tribal motifs that have been trending recently.
Colors: Black, White, Neutrals with pops of yellows, reds, and oranges
– Guests were welcomed by a stunning photo-booth set up, along with custom made props and a Polaroid Camera. Each person took a photo with the mama to be ( me!) and added their picture to the photo board which was used as a guest book!
– Upon arrival everyone grabbed a balloon and a thumb tack to kick the party off with a “POW” and a “WOW” we all popped the balloons in sync and whoever had the paper proclaiming them the winner received a prize. The prizes were leather detailed bracelets adorned with beads and charms.
– Another party hit was the baby play-dough game where everyone had 5 min to craft a baby out of play-dough. Each submission was assigned a number and we all took a vote for the best baby figurine. 99% of them were quite frightening, but oh-so hilarious! Much love to sculptures, clearly its not easy!
– All of the ladies had a chance to use stencils and puffy paint to make onesies for baby Tatum and string them on the clothes line! I loved these because they will make great keepsakes!
– The favors included mesh bags of Cedar shreds ( a smell that instantly reminds me of our tribal powwow, and my grandparents) Such a nostalgic touch! Along with delicate feather charms (So Shiki!)
Food/ Drinks/ Dessert:
Holy moly was there a spread! The finger foods alone would have been enough to fill everyone but like I said this shower was above and beyond! After indulging in adorably-tasty appetizers we piled our plated with tacos, and I went back for seconds ( possibly 3rds…for the baby of course) is was so delicious!
True to Ashley’s hostess nature every drink, and food item had coordinating signs complimenting the shower theme! Here are just a few of the delectable treats this mama-to-be enjoyed:
Popcorn & pretzels
Cucumber and cream cheese teepee sandwiches
Mini bluberry pies
Here is one of the many reasons Ashley and I were a Big & Little match made in heaven…. our love for crafting is serious! Her eye for style is uncanny and while many would mistake her beautiful Huntington Beach home for a staged Pottery Barn home its really just that she just has a knack for style and decorates everything herself ( and she’s a savvy bargain shopper which you’ve got to love!) Okay, back to the shower decor! WOW…. I have no words. So many hand crafted components, so I will just highlight a few and let the photos speak for themselves. From the handmade teepee, to delicate arrow garland, and “advice for mama” cards at every perfect place setting there wasn’t a detail forgotten! Many of the props she found a Hobby Lobby and Homegoods, and everything else you see pictured was hand crafted
All of these projects make for some pretty pictures, and great inspiration for anyone hoping to throw a tribal themed baby shower, birthday party etc. But the biggest impact these impeccable details had on me was an overwhelming feeling of love. I personally know what kind of time, energy, and thought goes into crafting personalized decor, and planing an event for 30+ people and I cant help but feel so touched that my sweet mama and little sis Ashely would do all of that in honor of Little Man Tate and myself!
Spending time with friends and family I rarely get to see is such a gift in itself, and this mama-to-be feels so very showered in love!
Huge thank you to all of my friends who joined us in celebrating Tatum!